0
We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Retry
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
Retry
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Article |

A 2- to 7-Year Follow-up Study of 54 Obsessive-Compulsive Children and Adolescents

Henrietta L. Leonard, MD; Susan E. Swedo, MD; Marge C. Lenane, MSW; David C. Rettew; Susan D. Hamburger, MS; John J. Bartko, PhD; Judith L. Rapoport, MD
Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1993;50(6):429-439. doi:10.1001/archpsyc.1993.01820180023003.
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Objective:  Due to the generally poor prognosis previously reported for patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), this report systematically assessed the outcome of patients who had had access to new psychopharmacologic treatments to determine whether there had been any long-term gains and if there were any predictors of outcome.

Design:  Prospective follow-up study of a cohort of consecutive pediatric patients with OCD who had participated in controlled treatment (clomipramine hydrochloride) trials and then received a variety of interim treatments.

Patients:  Fifty-four children and adolescents were reevaluated 2 to 7 years (mean, 3.4±1.0 years initial clomipramine treatment. Information for 48 (89%) of the patients was from direct interview and for the remaining six (11%) from at least two sources.

Results:  On follow-up, 23 of the subjects (43%) still met diagnostic criteria for OCD, and only three (6%) could be considered in true remission. Thirty-eight subjects (70%) were taking psychoactive medication at the time of follow-up. Although OCD symptoms continued, the group as a whole was significantly improved at follow-up, with only 10 subjects (19%) rated as unchanged or worse. A worse OCD outcome score at follow-up was predicted in a stepwise multiple regression by (1) more severe OCD symptoms score after 5 weeks of clomipramine therapy, (2) lifetime history of a tic disorder, and (3) presence of parental Axis I psychiatric diagnosis (R2=.31, P<.01).

Conclusions:  With new treatments available, most patients with pediatric OCD can expect significant longterm improvements but not complete remission. This study supports previous reports of the chronicity and intractability of the disorder, as there still remained a significant subgroup of subjects who exhibited continued morbidity despite multiple interventions.

Topics

Sign in

Create a free personal account to sign up for alerts, share articles, and more.

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal

First Page Preview

View Large
First page PDF preview

Figures

Tables

References

Correspondence

CME
Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Submit a Comment

Multimedia

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Sign in

Create a free personal account to sign up for alerts, share articles, and more.

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Jobs
brightcove.createExperiences();